Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Blending

I was asleep but now I'm awake.

That is a statement I often say to myself when I am not completely awake but want to be up and about. I also feel that, sometimes, I need to shake myself to be aware of what's happening around me. One such thought has been on my mind lately when I think of the message sent by musicians who are self-proclaimed followers of Christ in an ever-increasingly depraved world.

When I think of my undergraduate years, several words pop in my mind packed with wonderful memories:
- Yosemite Chorale retreat (always a time of complete spiritual renewal),
- Common Grounds (a coffee place on our campus where I often met with friends to discuss life issues),
- Music at Noon (a 30-minute recital that often brings fabulous professional musicians to our school),
- GYRAD (get your roommate a date, usually organized by floor), and
- Music History Labs (always an experience with Mr. O!).

There is still another word that takes me right back to Biola Chorale rehearsals in Crowell Hall 122, and that is the word blending. When I was growing up in Haiti, I did not really know what that word meant in terms of a classical choral sound but that word came floating in the air as soon as I walked into that choir room my freshman year of college. Blending is this wonderful fusion of timbre, acoustical properties, colors, and energy that makes a group of singers sound like one. In order for that to happen, singers must listen to each other and give up the need to be soloistic for the sake of something even better for the group. With a masterful conductor, the experience can be fulfilling and exquisite. Thank God for the Biola Chorale!

Yet, in the hands of an inefficient conductor, blending can be enforced to such an extent that it could be disastrous to the overall choral sound and negatively impact the whole group. It can destroy the unique properties of individual voices causing them to lose their very essence.
The same can be said of us, Christians. When we blend effectively, we can be a fragrant/attractive witness for God. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:22,

"To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

We will have a far better chance at bringing others to Christ if we choose to understand the language of the hearts of unbelievers. In doing so we can relate to them and they will trust us with important matters in their lives. However, the Bible also tells us that we can go too far if we are not careful. If we blend too much, i.e. becoming indistinguishable from the rest of the world, then they can't recognize the very thing that sets us apart.

Are people ever surprised to discover that we are Christians due to our thinking patterns, choices of language and clothing, and our actions and activities? I pray not. Romans 12:2 tells us plainly,

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will."

Now, as I make music, I aim to remember that God is the giver of all gifts, including my music. I strive to be the best musician that I can be for His glory. In my actions, I seek to blend with others bearing in mind God's perspective. Jesus came to earth and took on human flesh, that means he has blended himself with us, relates to us, is one of us. He ate with the tax collectors and prostitutes without ever losing His essence. He was humble, generous, kind, loving, yet truthful and firm. What a powerful witness!

Do I blend like Christ? Am I so self-righteous that all people see is legalism and no room for grace? Or do I go to the other extreme and not remain true to my very essence? It is a difficult task, no questions asked. Yet, I can do that too through Christ who strengthens me [Philippians 4:13]. I can use my influence in a quiet way and introduce people to the Friend of sinners, my Savior, my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment