Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lento

This morning, I am very grateful for my alarm which woke me up right on time. Yet, soon after I got out of bed, my mind started racing as I quickly went through the activities of the day in my head. I soon realized that I needed to pause and think about God because otherwise, I could easily go through the whole day without ever giving Him a thought. As often happens, He led my mind and heart to meditate on the Italian term "lento." Please, allow me to share some of what I have gleaned.

The musical term lento (slow, sluggish) requires a deliberate effort to make ourselves slow down. Music professors often wear themselves out telling their students over and over that they rush especially in difficult passages. In order for true lento to take place, the approach of the artist must contain such intensity and cohesiveness that the music is held together beautifully. In contrast, the tempo of the life of a musician can be so frenzied that agitato and prestissimo are the more appropriate terms to be used to describe it. Our Lord, however, does not intend for us to live such harried lives because it is difficult to hear His voice in those cases. Slowing down offers us the opportunity to hear His voice with utmost clarity. The cohesiveness that results from that will afford us great musical and spiritual victories.

Nowadays, my mind continuously dwells on my duties at school. I must say that as a teacher, I look at the approaching month of May both with a sense of dread and anticipation. Dread, because looking at my calendar reveals a schedule which is packed with all kinds of activities, finals, papers and exams to grade, concerts to attend, and a growing list of time-sensitive projects. Anticipation, because May is the month that puts an end to this busy season of my life.
Whether or not you are currently engaged in academic life, you can probably agree with me that busy-ness threatens to bury us under its deathlike grip. Its relentless and frenetic pace has the power to throw people from side to side in a dizzying whirlwind as they go from one thing to another with very little room to breathe in between. I have to admit that I, for one, lose focus and clarity of thought when my life is similarly packed. I find myself thinking, saying, and doing things like:

"I'd better slow down because I'm not getting it."
"I need to catch my breath."
"This is too fast for me."
"Sigh."
"Just keep breathing."
"Okay, gotta wait, gotta stop, gotta rest my body a little tonight."

The reality of the matter is the human body is not a machine. Despite the tendency to rush through almost everything and to go non-stop, people find that their bodies and minds will sooner or later require a drastic change of pace. It is that very principle that gives a driver the wisdom to slow down before exiting the highway. Without slowing down, he/she will not have the clarity of mind to spot the exit sign, to steer the car in a safe manner, to recognize landmarks which will confirm his/her arrival at the proper destination, to avoid hitting other cars or killing pedestrians. When we do not slow down as people, we often get sick because one way or another our bodies require that alteration of speed.

Failure to slow down causes us to stop caring about what truly matters. There is such a profusion of noise, clamor, speed, and traffic in the hyperactive lifestyle promoted by our culture that it is often tempting to tune out the desperate cries of people who are in legitimate need. We do not have the time to pay attention to people who are slowing us down. We lose discernment and our perspectives are often skewed when in times of incessant activity. Do we feel so overwhelmingly busy that we simply cannot get everything done? Do we find ourselves wishing that there were more than 24 hours, more than 7 days, more than 52 weeks, and more than 12 months? Are the things that keep us so busy merely distractions that mar our ability to focus?

God thinks that we will benefit greatly if we do slow down. In fact, He wants us to stop and be still because in the stillness we are led to know Him. A passage that clearly illustrates that truth is Psalm 46:10,

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Knowing God is the best thing we can do. We can be armed with the courage to face turmoil, conflicts, fear, weaknesses, destruction, malice, and certainly busy-ness because we know that there is someone who has the power to end and control all of it. Knowing God leads us to honor Him and to live in harmony with other human beings since He has called us to peace.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." Colossians 3:15

So, my friends, be encouraged. Take time to pause even if it is just for a minute. Take some deep breaths and slow down. You will worry less, you will stumble less, and you will be grateful more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment